Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Arachnophobia and Xmas baubles



Ok. I was going to blog before Xmas, but it got a bit hectic and so I was unable to do it then. Well Xmas was most enjoyable and as usual, we all ate way too much food and drank too much wine, but hey…It’s Xmas. It’s perfectly acceptable behaviour for this time of the year.

By and large, its been comparatively busy for this week so far, being the week before the new year and all. Hopefully the new year will see us even busier and happier than ever before. Come on down 2007!!! Yippee!

Hey check this picture out. It’s a customer’s PC with the web page on the inside of the case. It belongs to a spider that is totally up with the latest technology. I think there was another arachnid in there before the current resident, but unfortunately it looks like this little invertebrate lost a few legs trying to navigate its way across the CPU desert, or met his end while catching the USB Bus. If he did catch the bus it was surely bound to be a hard drive. But the alternative route would have made him a bit floppy. Perhaps he was sucked into the system fan whilst abseiling from the roof of the case. The inside seems warm and cosy to a spider I’m sure, but taking an eight legged stroll through a high voltage power supply unit could fry the poor little suckers hairy legs balder than Peter Garret: A shocking trip to arachnophobic hell. Speaking of Peter Garret, doesn’t he dance a bit like a spider?

Oh and one more thing... People may find this somewhat odd, but this year I have officially discovered and learnt the meaning of the word bauble. Amazing... Thanks Amber, you continue to enlighten me and improve my Xmas vocabulary. Yeah OK, I know its kinda tragic, but I think I may have lived in a kind of xmas vocab free environment as a kid. Geez I didn't even know that the tinsel stuff that you hang aroung your Xmas tree has a special name. Bizarre. It doesn't at all surprise me though, to see that there are so many words that are Xmas specific, and are not at all commonly used: in George's Funky World at least.


So getting back to the spider, it is very common to see spiders create websites, whilst the user creates them on the internet. It is a web of intrigue... I also find it quite interesting that we refer to computer owners as Users. If you drive a car you are an owner/driver. If you buy a book you are the reader, but if you buy a computer you are a user. Now in the context of interpersonal relationships, you certainly would not enjoy such a title, but in the computing world, we seem to embrace it... Bizarre really. I'm sure that we can come up with a better label. Drop me a line and let me know what you think. Perhaps we could be called computors or something like that. Maybe we could invent a nedw word to substitute the very unflattering 'user'.

3 Comments:

At 8:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah........well.........you dance funny.........ner ner ner

 
At 9:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I didn't know what they were called until my adult years either..*blush*

I really was a deprived child..........

Miss V xx

 
At 4:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings program, The master control system denies you a name other than user.....end line

 

Post a Comment

<< Home