Thursday, December 07, 2006

Sad Goodbye

When you work with an individual for a long time, you develop a certain kind of relationship with that person. You know a professional relationship that sometimes transcends the usual boundaries of the regular employee inter-relationship.

If you have ever worked in a small business for as long as I have, (more than seven years now) you will know what I am banging on about. Christ I know my workmates better than...Well perhaps better than I should. This week, one of them moves on to greener pastures (but nothing to do with the dairy industry). It leaves me with a huge void that feels just plain weird. She has been like my best friend at times, like my mother at other times and well, yes like comic relief at other times. But I have nothing but the highest regard for her. On one level, it feels as though a part of me is leaving. On the other hand it leaves me wondering how I will keep my sanity also. She was my organisational side in my times of disarray. She is my memory when I forget things (which is most of the time). She was also, an important voice of reason in the times that really mattered to us.

Every business (and every individual) needs someone in their life like Gayle. She is a voice of reason and the grounding force that keeps a business on track and organised, in a very important way. Employees of her calibre are highly sought after. They make perfect and loyal friends too. They can be brutally honest, but despite what some people think, this can sometimes be the best thing that we could ever hear, regardless of how it makes us feel... Sometimes all we need is a good kick up the butt to bring us down to Earth. This is definitely what all of us need from time to time. Let’s face it, none of us are perfect.

So if you are reading this my friend, I wish you nothing but happiness and the very best of fortune on your new path and thank you for your deeply valued friendship and support during these past 7 years. Thank you for being my friend and good luck in the future!!! Oh and don't think that this is the last that you'll hear from me either. I hope that you feel just a little bit mushy on the inside, despite the driving force behind your leaving. I am a bit sad that you are leaving and it will take a long time to adjust to the fact that you won’t be around. Ah well, I guess I will have to take up transcendental meditation or something to cope with the boss. I doubt that Maharishi himself could cope with what you are leaving me to deal with alone. :-) Well it will be strange also to see your chair empty and to miss the smell of chewing gum, or to get used to making just one cup of coffee in the mornings. Cya Gayle and God bless you!

Anyway, lately I have been listening to more and more of Paul Oakenfold, Trance style, Techno sort of stuff. I'm not sure why, but I love it! I think that I am going nuts. This may get worse in the coming months so bear with me. I have so much to say today, but I must leave many things unsaid. Sometimes we must bite our tongues for fear of biting the very hands that feed us.

Fires threaten our community this weekend and so my heart is out to all those in the line of the fast approaching Gippsland bushfires, who may have to make some very serious decisions in much haste. Also god bless those CFA and DSE workers who give of themselves tirelessly in our times of need.
Thanks for reading and goodnight folks!

1 Comments:

At 7:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading, and in over 7 years I don't think you ever saw me cry and you're just going to have to imagine it now. Cos I am. Big huge lump in throat.
Thank you. You have no idea how much that means to me and how much I will miss you.
But you're right......I haven't heard the last of you and you haven't heard the last from me. Friendships like ours last a lifetime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home