Thursday, July 13, 2006

The fast and the curious

Wow, today after taking these cool pics of the railway bridge and the tree in front of the wall, I was amazed to witness the most full-on police blitz I have ever seen. I passed about ten squad cars over a distance of about 50km. There were divi vans, sedans and pursuit cars everywhere... Very interesting.They were obviously looking for people speeding as I will gratefully contest to in a minute.

After seeing so many police and arriving back at the workshop, I finished my paperwork and headed back out the door to make my way over to Tom's work. It was getting dark, so naturally I flicked on the lights - or so I thought...
Oh crap! No lights. Oh no. With all these cops around too! Naturally, I would be discrete and obscure amongst all the cars with shining headlights... Crap, crap, crap! Man. Now I don't know much about cars, less about auto electrics, so I did the logical thing. I drove to Tom's work. You see Tom is a mechanic. Well at least he used to be, and he knows a lot more than me or my boss (who suggested that i follow him as a solution to the problem) Now I'm not sure how he thought that that would actually achieve anything, but I decided that a dash along the side streets would be the best offensive. So with only parking lights dimmly illuminating my path, off I set to pick Tom up (and beg for his help).

With a sigh of relief, I pulled in the driveway and hopped out- searching for my mechanically minded brother. There are many subtle, yet complex (some deeply technical) and precise mechanics involved in the workings of our automobiles. Some profoundly scientific in nature, others theoretically simple, but nonetheless too hard to get your head around in practical application. With this in mind, Tom set about fixing my dilema. He looked hard at the lifeless headlamps, instructed me to flick the high beams. Then with all of his technical finesse and refined scientific understanding of the inner workings of this vehicular wonder, he raised his hand and...Thump. The light came into being once again. Pure genius I thought to myself. It actually worked. He thumped the light and on it came! Pounding the other light however (seemingly into submission) proved fruitless. "Well" Tom exclaimed, "at least we've got one light working."

Damn. Now with darkness well and truly upon us, I had to run the gauntlet of police vehicles returning from the area in which I had passed them earlier. You wouldn't believe it! Even before I had made my first turn, there sat a highway patrol car on the side of the road dead ahead in front of me. Crikey! Fortunately he was far more interested in speedsters than vehicles with only one light. Phew! Two more police cars past by us without any problems and so ended yet another interesting day.

1 Comments:

At 10:48 am, Blogger Nathan Finlayson said...

I wait with baited breathe for you to update these photos are fantastic i LOVE the brick work on the pillar fantastic george fantastic.....;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home