Thursday, July 20, 2006

More photos on a great day.


Believe it or not but you are looking into a mirror. A data mirror that is. A mirror is refered to by data geeks as RAID 1. Without boring you too much, a mirror is two disks that have identical volumes of information. This is because data is written to both drives simultaneously. 'Why?' I hear you ask. Well redundancy, Holmes. If a disk fails, data is automatically and instantly accessed on the other drive. Its the ultimate backup for the layman.

Pictured above, you can see my PC in the operating theatre. It's hard drives were disected, initialised and ready for transplant into the Hard Disk Drive cavity. Not for the meek or uninitiated, RAID controllers and their various functions are typically difficult to understand, thus tending to be the domain of hardcore geeksters. The blue LED glowing in the picture is a Voltage Regulator Module(VRM).

This PC has Two mirrored 160Gb Seagate HDD's (each with 8mb Cache) and Two Striped (RAID 0) 80Gb Seagate Cudas.' There is also one 200Gb Seagate for backup storage space. They are a mixture of SATA and IDE Interfaces.
With 5 HDD's in this PC, it is surprisingly quiet. The fans are noisier than the Disk Drives themselves. I actually have only 2 system fans. You can see one 80mm fan in the picture, but there is also one 120mm fan in the system cover.


Oh well, until next time, adios amigos!

2 Comments:

At 10:09 pm, Blogger Nathan Finlayson said...

Rapunzel Rapunzel let down your hair!

Not on the hair of my chinny chin chin..!!

Oops always get my fairy tales wrong
but great photos george.

 
At 8:36 pm, Blogger Nicole Finlayson said...

Ooookay.

Aha.

*nod*

Oh really? You don't say..........

Mmmmmm

Wow are you serious?

Oh technology is AMAZING!!

Okay I'll stop now - roflmao!!

Except I'll say this even though I'd like to point out that I am NOT a geek. I think it's ace that you can do that, mirror an entire computer, I think it's pretty cool...;)

Nic xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home