Thursday, August 10, 2006

A valiant effort.


Well folks, I've been busy selling my car on ebay and today was a really busy day at work. (at least for me anyway) But I'm sure that others appreciated the haste at which the jobs got done. I had this old Valiant that I referred to in a previous post. It sold for about $600. I tried to be totaly honest about the car and the fact that it has been sitting around not doing anything for a while. It's hard because there are always things that you would like to add to a description of a car when you list it for the first time. Especially when you are like me...not inclined to think things through with too much deliberation that is. So the car is sold, sort of, but there is no money yet. Time will tell as to whether he is a serious buyer or not. Anyway, work has been a bit slow, but I have still got a few snapshots to share with you. Some are from West Gippy, others from the Valley and some from places inbetween.

It seems almost fashionable to be as disorganised as me. Take today for instance, it seemed as though people were less organised and less able to understand what I was trying to tell them than they would ordinarily be. It left me feeling somewhat superior (in an organisational sense). I even had all of the information at my disposal, that was required of me to succeed in the job. All except one thing that is.... Reliable, available (and competent) assistance. It's not that I'm blowing my own horn here, but god only knows that the rest of the I.T world was doing today while I struggled with direction on things, left asking myself and the I.T gods/godesses questions like "Hi I'm here...um what do you want me to do exactly?", "Why am I here?" and the classic question I was forced to ask "would you like me to tell you what the problem actually is, rather than sending me back to this place to tell you that no, that's not it?" Crikey, sometimes it is so glaringly obvious that it can befuddle even the best and most conscientious IT guru.

Here is a printer that makes some people quiver with fear, others shake with excitement, blah blah blah. Reality suggests that these old crappers really do make the world go around. The OKI Microline 320Turbo dot matrix printer with the ingenious (but laughable) Quite mode. Printers like this make triplicates possible via impact printing technology. Tiny pins in the head hammer away at blistering speeds to produce that all too common and incredibly annoying noise that nobody should have to put up with (no matter how much they pay you). Bloody amazing.
Anyway, back to the job thing... I think that sometimes it helps to walk away from a job briefly, or to look at it from a different angle. It can be like one of those 3d coloured pattern pictures that we all had. You know the ones, the ones that people would sometimes pretend to get, even if they did'nt. The old "Yeah I see the dolphins now..." ploy. "Yeah that's fantastic" with a long pause. Yeah right. Then bam! They suddenly get it and try to act unsurprised. That was happening today. You know what I mean. People with too much pride to admit when they are wrong. "Oh, i don't know how we overlooked that..." or "Gee, sorry to leave you waiting for three quarters of an hour on hold"


I will be madly looking for more pics for the next post. Till then cya later and may all of your experiences with level 2 tech support be more productive, less boring and generally more pleasant than mine. Until then, my mind will be on these rolling hills... At one with mother nature, oh and the cows of course.
Speaking of cows, I read in the paper, that they have come up with a renewed (but genuine) interest in the recycling of cow manure for energy production purposes... Some may say that its just a load of bull.

4 Comments:

At 10:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matrix rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 10:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few tears are shed in the passing of the mighty valiant vg.

Long live the valiant.

 
At 10:32 pm, Blogger Nathan Finlayson said...

Gee i hope it doesnt sell i was hoping to go cruising for some chicks

lol.....;)

Hope it goes to a good home.

 
At 10:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooo only the nicest cows live in WEST Gippy ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home